Moving Your Car To Another State? Here’s What To Do With Car Registration

Moving Your Car To Another State

Whether you are permanently moving to another state or you just need to use your car for your commuting needs while you are at a different city, you have to make sure that you are fully informed with what you need to do for your car registration and insurance.

In most cases, different states have different laws when it comes to the registration and insurance of a car. It is your responsibility as a car owner to find out about the subtle changes that you need to keep in mind before you even contact an East Coast auto transport to ship the car across state lines.

Common Requirements For Licensing And Insurance

As soon as you have made plans to go to another state, make sure that you meet the state licensing requirements. Inform yourself whether or not you have to pass a written test or a simple vision test is enough. You should go through the specifics of the differences between the state you’re from and where you’re going.

For car insurance, you also have to know how much you have to set aside. In some states, the minimums can be around $5,000. However, it is ideal to have at least up to $25,000 because that’s the peak for some other states.

Applying for Your New License

Different states have different limitations on how many days you have to apply. Make sure that you apply immediately for your new license and registration to ensure that you aren’t going to fall behind any deadlines. This is incredibly important if you are going to get a job in that particular state as well.

Fortunately, most states have a user-friendly online portal that you can go to and inform yourself. They will most likely have a PDF handbook that you can download. Go through the most important parts and make sure that you understand all of them before you proceed with applying for your new license.

Staying With The Same Insurer

There are times when you might not have to purchase a new auto insurance policy. Ask your auto insurance provider if they provide services to the new state that you’re going to. If they are, make sure that you process the transferral of your insurance from one state to another.

Because most states will ask you to provide proof of the insurance before they approve the registration of your vehicle, this should be the first thing that you do as soon as you finalize the state where you’re about to move. Though there are some grace periods in other states, it is safer to have insurance as soon as you get in the state.

Purchasing A New Policy

When you are left with no option but to purchase a new policy, you should call your old insurer and set the terms for the end of coverage on your current policy. In most cases, they might endorse you to an affiliate company in the new state that you are in and you might even get a similar agreement to what you currently have with them.

Donegal Dollop

Read Previous

OMEGA Safety Classes for Construction Workers

Read Next

Get the great bagels you want at the right price

Leave a Reply